Storm Surge Films is seeking an enthusiastic individual for a documentary Research & Production Internship for the summer 2013. The internship program at Storm Surge Films is a unique opportunity for young and emerging filmmakers to learn about producing innovative documentary films alongside other passionate storytellers.
Interns will find numerous opportunities to build relationships and learn from those working in documentary, arts and non-profit communities throughout the US and beyond. Internships are ideal for candidates who bring strong individual creative sensibilities combined with an interest in participating in a highly-collaborative environment where a diversity of ideas are respected and embraced.
Self-motivated individuals with a strong entrepreneurial spirit, interested in learning about documentary films, media education and community-based outreach and engagement are encouraged to apply. S/he will work closely with the studio’s director, producer and other interns on a daily basis.
As SSF projects commonly involve the creative participation of community members typically experiencing filmmaking for the first time, it is highly desirable if candidates demonstrate an interest in education and community engagement. S/he will work closely with the studio’s director, producer and other interns on a daily basis in a highly collaborative environment where ideas are respected and embraced.
Duties may include but are certainly not limited to:
- Recording sound with a small crew in the field
- Logging and transcribing interviews
- Online and library-based research
- Field research including informational interviews, phone calls and information gathering
- Organizing research and story materials
- Occasionally serving as a Production Assistant with the SSF crew when filming in the field
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Ability to work in the field in diverse and sometimes fast-paced environments
- Passion for documentary films and strong knack for non-fiction storytelling
- Confident research, writing and note-taking skills
- An interest in the grant, treatments and film project proposal process
- Confident verbal communication skills in diverse environments
- Strong capacity for synthesizing and organizing a diverse range of research materials
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently
- Interest in learning about climate change, disaster resiliency and current trends in environmental, social and economic sustainability
- Experience working with HD video and sound recording are a plus
- The internship will ideally run from June 2013 through August/September 2013
- Requires a minimum commitment of 16 hours/week, with flexible days depending on applicant’s schedule
- Proficiency in other languages beyond English is welcomed
- Storm Surge Films’ is headquartered in Seattle, with field locations in Bay St. Louis, MS, Joplin, MO, Tuscaloosa, AL, and New York City.
Storm Surge Films is committed to a diverse workplace and is an enthusiastic equal opportunity employer.
Dependent upon execution and performance over a multiple month time frame, this position has the potential to become a paid part-time job.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three (3) references stormsurgefilm [at]gmail [dot] com by 5:00pm, Friday, June 21, 2013. No phone calls.